Lyrics Analysis - Seasons Wither

lyrics analysis by Jevin On 10:57 AM
Seasons Wither - Machine Head

The taste of avenging blood

Suffer horror she's withstood
The crime takes a new toll
Rapes the soul

Hear her pain
Listen
To what she'd scream

I'm gonna see you bleeding
Face down in the dirt
I'm gonna give you back what
You've taken with hurt
You coward
I'm gonna spit right into your face
In grace you'll be no more

This scar makes her heart stronger
Your breath makes her days longer
Life gained through your dying eyes
Revenge, life's bitter prize
Feel reprise

I'm gonna see you bleeding
Face down in the dirt
I'm gonna give you back what
You've taken with hurt
You coward
I'm gonna spit right into your face
In grace you'll be no more

[Solo: Demmel]

The seasons wither away

And we pray you die
We pray you suffocate
In pain you writhe
This day we celebrate
This day we celebrate
Desecrate

This mind and body
This heart and soul
Will not be trampled
Will not crumble
You can't hurt me
Your power's control denied
And you can'r rape me
That moment's effect has died
You're a fucking shell that's dead in my eyes
Dead
DEAD!


Okay back for a new lyrics analysis. This song is from Machine Head from album Through the ashes of empires. Actually I chose this song because it deals with domestic violence and today is International Women's Day. So on with the analysis.

The first paragraph pretty much sets the tone of the song. This is not teen pop. Yeah!

The taste of avenging blood
Suffer horror she's withstood
The crime takes a new toll
Rapes the soul

These two lines are clearly intended to the man beating his wife. "Suffer horror she's withstood". Yeah what if you were getting beaten? The lines in this part are very straight forward.

Hear her pain
Listen
To what she'd scream

The next part is a kind of a build up before the chorus. And the words are beautifully chosen.

I'm gonna see you bleeding
Face down in the dirt
I'm gonna give you back what
You've taken with hurt
You coward
I'm gonna spit right into your face
In grace you'll be no more

Ahh, the chorus. The words here are violent. "I'm gonna see you bleeding face down with the dirt". You can almost feel Robb Flynn's anger when he screams those words. The song is indeeed violent and crude. The words are straight forward. No innuendos. I agree the words are harsh, but you should hear the song. Its beautiful.

This scar makes her heart stronger
Your breath makes her days longer
Life gained through your dying eyes
Revenge, life's bitter prize
Feel reprise

Now looks like the choice of words in this part is a bit less harsh. "This scar makes her heart stronger, your breath makes her days longer". This would be so true. I am always amazed by how Flynn manages to express his thoughts in such ways. He sounds angry, but his words make so much sense. "Life gained through your dying eyes". This part is violet and poetic at the same time. I am not a fan of dark poetry. I used to hate them because they made no sense last time I checked. But here this is beautiful. If you would classify these words as dark poetry, I'd stand corrected.

The song goes back to the buildup and chorus and then goes into a great guitar solo. With Robb and Phill harmonizing the end of the solo. You should see the video of this song. It is awesome. The singing, screaming, guitar, bass, drums all sound perfect. It's sounds like its the CD track. They played this to perfection.

On with it now. This is the part that comes after the solo. Here the song calms down and Robb whispers "The seasons whispers away" multiple times before the song breaks into an epic part which goes like this.

And we pray you die
We pray you suffocate
In pain you writhe
This day we celebrate
This day we celebrate
Desecrate

You might be surprised. This part is actually sung. Not screamt. You should hear this part. It's epic. That's all I can say.

The next part is a bit messy. With the drums and guitars going berserk. These words are sung over.

This mind and body
This heart and soul
Will not be trampled
Will not crumble
You can't hurt me
Your power's control denied
And you can'r rape me
That moment's effect has died
You're a fucking shell that's dead in my eyes
Dead

In this part, its almost like the wife is screaming back to the husband. "You can't hurt me, your power's control denied". These are great words, huh. This was my contribution to Women's day. I know it won't change shit, but at least now that you've read this, you'll feel like an asshole if you ever indulge in such acts.

Here's a vid of the song. Played live. Like only men with balls would do.




Buy Machine head - Seasons wither material








2 Response to 'Lyrics Analysis - Seasons Wither'

Post a Comment

  1. morinn Said,

    Wow this analysis is... Complete, in every sense of the word. I'm always in awe of your lyrics analysis skills.

    I had never known the meaning of this song before reading this. Always thought it was a song about how to treat your enemies and stuff. I know it was so dumb of me.

    This is really a great tribute to women and I admire Robb even more now for singing this! :P

    Love you Jevi, keep metal! :P

     

  2. Jevin Said,

    Thanks. Yes it is a bad ass song. I like it a lot too.

    Kudos to Robb for writing such great words.

     

 
Template designed by Jevin | Based on Minima template by Douglas Bowman xv7gwc2arb